AttractDuring this initial phase, companies are just beginning to build a relationship with potential customers as well as new ones.
- Initiate: The typical approach is to combine a “brochure” website with email campaigns and web analytics.
- Radiate: The company begins to expand their online presence. Content is distributed on other channels, such as social networks, or through a mobile website.
- Align: Digital initiatives become more aligned with marketing and strategic objectives, and content becomes more focused on customer behavior and needs.
ConvertNow that the company has gained the customer’s attention during the “Attract” phase, it is time to convert that attention to a sale.
- Optimize: Various analytics offer actionable insights that guide the optimization of digital initiatives.
- Nurture: During this stage, the company strengthens the relationship by focusing on the customer. Trigger-based, automated dialogues occur, and the company conducts relevant discussion on the customers’ preferred channels.
AdvocateDuring the final phase, the goal is to forge a lasting relationship with the customer, build customer loyalty and encourage return visits.
- Engage: By combining offline and online customer databases into a central repository, companies can offer one-on-one, relevant, real-time dialogue that is based on the customer’s profile.
- Lifetime Customer: The “Engage” aspect is continued and enhanced. Real-time data is used to enhance the cross-channel customer experience and to anticipate customers’ actions and needs.
The Current State of MaturityOverall, the current level of maturity is rated at 85.4 percent, according to a 2013 assessment conducted by Sitecore. However, when the seven areas of maturity are evaluated, it is obvious that companies still have a long way to go.
- 67 percent are in the “Initiate” phase
- 18.4 percent are in the “Radiate” phase
- 3.2 percent have moved to “Align”
- 1.8 percent have reached “Optimize”
- 4.3 percent have achieved “Nurture”
- Significantly, only 0.9 percent have reached “Engage”
- 4.4 percent are in the “Lifetime Customers” category